Doing constant AdWords account audits can help you to stay aware where your pay-per-click campaigns need improvement!
Systematic PPC auditing is essential for both – new as well as established campaigns..
Need to remember one thing, too much changes with too many elements frequently might cause a complete disaster.
So keep balancing is the key – conducting an AdWords audit is an important process however not in expense of costs per conversion and return on investment (ROI).
I often follow the steps given below for auditing an AdWords account in order to have all the little pieces from my Pay Per Click campaign(s).
#1 AdWords Account Audit: Campaign Settings..
- Follow the naming convention based on common themes
- Divide campaigns based on goals – like separate campaigns on branded terms, remarketing, network settings etc.
- Review settings minutely before making the campaigns live to avoid any unwanted overlapping
- Actions taken on poorly performing entities – like paused/ended campaigns must not reopened/resumed without necessary adjustments into it
- Extra cautious over bid and budget (incl. billing details) settings
#2 AdWords Account Audit: Ad group Settings..
- Distributed thematically
- Limit the use of keywords and divide them categorically
- Usage of negative keywords
#3 AdWords Account Audit: Ad Settings..
- Each ad group should have at least two different ad copies
- Advertising guidelines has been followed
- Ads are error free!
#4 AdWords Account Audit: Keyword Settings..
- Match type configured appropriately
- Eligible for ad auction
- Scrutiny search term report
- Observe quality score
#5 AdWords Account Audit: Landing Page Settings..
- Relevant with ad(s) and keyword(s) – thematically matched
- Appropriate for conversions – followed the best practices and industry standards
- Eligible for browsing from different devices
#6 AdWords Account Audit: Conversion Settings..
- Configured the conversion code(s) suitably
- Linked-up with corresponding Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools profile
- Setting up proper goals and funnels
This is my way to audit PPC campaigns. Insert check-boxes to make it an AdWords account audit checklist!
Regular checking will help you find the loopholes in your pay-per-click campaigns and performing quality audit work keeps the AdWords account running smoothly. After all, those AdWords account does have the revenue-generating potential!